• Ashhuhlee

TinkerBell Bracers

Updated: 5 days ago

The next installment to my TinkerBell cosplay is her bracers! Which are not quite where I want them to be but here’s a quick run down on how I got them to where they are! Also I apologize in advanced for a lack of more progress photos, I honestly kept forgetting to do so but I can still talk through the steps!


I knew I wanted her bracers to look like they were made from bark so I purchased a silicone mold I found on amazon. To start, I peeled off some clay and made sure I added enough to cover the entire mold.


One of the best tips I’ve learned about using foam clay in molds is putting the mold in the freezer for about an hour to make it easier, and quicker, to de mold. So I did just that and repeated the process to get the second bracer. I waited a few days for the pieces to dry before I started working with them


Please note that foam clay does shrink while drying!!!


Between here and the next pic is where I was severely lacking in progress pictures because I was figuring out what I wanted to do. I’ll just be explaining what I did next


I had some worbla and roughly cut it so a rectangular shape that I knew would fit around my wrist and then heat formed (with a heat gun). I did this hoping to add stability and shape to the foam piece and make it more durable since it would be going on my arms.


Next I cut off any excess that I didn’t want and used contact cement to adhere the bark piece to the worbla. In doing so I quickly found out that just because I heat formed the worbla, didn’t mean it would keep its shape once adhered to the foam piece. The worbla had stretched out and didn’t form fit to my wrist anymore.



As you can see (left) it became pretty loose on my wrist and I needed to fix it.


I cut off more worbla so that each side matched and then took a hemming gauge to roughly mark out equally spaced dots on the worbla for me to punch out. (Bottom left)


I took a leather punch tool to create the holes on each side of the bracer and made sure that I had the same amount of holes on each side.






Once I had all the holes I then took about 40in of elastic and strung it through the holes (right).


I placed the elastic so that it was halved and each side will get threaded through the appropriate holes. I would equate this to lacing up shoes in how I did it.


I tightened the elastic some so that the bracer would fit better but it worked out great! Since it is elastic I was able to just slide my hand right out. But you can use anything you want to lace it, lace, cording, twine, yarn, ribbon or even some fabric. I didn’t really like the color and used a paint pen to paint the elastic (bottom left) more of a forest green.



More things to note that were not pictured are how did I paint all of the foam and worbla.


I first primed it with Plaid Fx primer which I would equate to like using modpodge but it preps foam better. I followed the appropriate redcoat and dry times that are listed on the bottle and did about 3 coats. Then when it was all dry I just used some brown acrylic paint to quickly cover most of everything, which made it very flat.



I used a large fluffy mop head paint brush, dip it water and dabbed in acrylic paint over the foam. I really worked it in so that it would get into the crevices and at dimension to the bracer. Once I covered everything I took a towel (preferably one you don’t care about or paper towels) and wiped off the acrylic wash from the surface of the bracer which left me with how it looks on the right.


That’s alll I have for now but I may add some moss and mushrooms later on to the bracer just to make it look cooler for myself. I think maybe adding the moss to hide the worbla underneath will be really cool to do! The possibilities of additions are really just to your imagination. I really loved having the silicone mold to quickly to this instead of trying to sculpt it out myself. I’ve linked the mold below! Check it out for your next forest inspired themed cosplay!



0 comments

Recent Posts

See All